At the #libhack hackathon at ALA MidWinter in Philadelphia, Jake Orlowitz & I wrote a script that pulls query results from the Digital Public Library of America’s API into the current Wikipedia article you’re viewing. Here’s an example of the original user script:
The user script is a bit cumbersome, as it has to work around the browser’s mixed content policy since Wikipedia is available only over HTTPS and the DPLA API is only HTTP. To circumvent this issue, I built a Chrome Extension that runs the DPLA queries in the background and then passes them to the Wikipedia article.
This is an active project, as I hope to refine the Chrome extension further & create a framework for similar projects using other major digital library APIs (such as Trove or Europeana).
- WikipedDPLA Chrome extension on GitHub
- WikipeDPLA Chrome extension in the Chrome Web Store
- WikipeDPLA user script on GitHub
- FindDPLA Installation tour on Wikipedia
- “My First Hackathon & WikipeDPLA” post on ACRL Tech Connect
- FindDPLA in the DPLA App Library
- Grease/Tampermonkey Script on Userscripts.org